• Prunella Azzahra

Stage & Dance Guide!

Curated by Prunella Azzahra (she/her)

New Zealand School of Dance Choreographic Season - Liminal

Friday 10th May - Friday 17th May

Tickets $20 (student)

Te Whaea: National Dance and Drama School

The NZSD Choreographic Season is back with what’s sure to be a high class collaboration with Toi Whakaari, Liminal. Always one of the school’s highlights of the year, this show builds on skills learnt in students’ first and second year at NZSD. The costuming is sure to be a feast for the eyes with Toi Whakaari’s team incorporating reused and recycled materials. Not to be missed!

The Golden Ass

Ends Saturday 11th May

Tickets $30

Circa Theatre

Calling all classics students: Michael Hurst’s adaptation of The Golden Ass is for you. After turning from a human to a donkey, protagonist Lucius takes on a whirlwind of bandits, goddesses, witches, sandals, and sex. The show is on its last week now, so get in quick! 

Bailamos Bachata! Latin Dance Party

6pm Sunday 12th May

Free!

Southern Cross Garden Bar Restaurant

Get your groove on and learn Bachata—a Latin couples dance! Whether you’re a complete beginner or an absolute pro, this free dance party includes a lesson and social dance time to put your new moves to use. Southern Cross requests attendees support their venue with purchase of food or drink. If you enjoy it so much, the event takes place each month! Woohoo!

Courtney Dawson - Dreams Are Free

Tuesday 14th May - Saturday 18th May

Tickets $25

BATS Theatre

Winner of Outstanding Comedy Performance at the 2022 Auckland Fringe Festival, Courtney Dawson (Ngāti Kurī / Ngāti Amaru) is my fav of the fest in the NZ International Comedy Festival. Having gone from “crack up chicky at the BBQ” to stand up comedy gold, this show is not to be missed. 

Rhys Nicholson - Huge Big Party Congratulations

Saturday 18th May

Tickets $35

Te Auaha - Tapere Nui

Fans of RuPaul’s Drag Race will be no stranger to Aussie comedian Rhys Nicholson. After receiving five star reviews and accolades such as Most Outstanding Show at the 2022 Melbourne Comedy Festival, Nicholson takes the Wellington stage for a brand new hour long set. Tickets are sure to go quick so snap them up while you can!

Lauren Groff: The Vaster Wilds

Tuesday 21st May

Tickets $27 - $30

Hannah Playhouse

New York Times Bestseller Lauren Groff takes the stage to discuss her new novel The Vaster Wilds. If the name doesn’t sound familiar, the book cover certainly will (think Fates and Furies, The Monsters of Templeton, and Arcadia, her other books). This is sure to be a profound discussion as her new novel comments on how we can save ourselves from a not too distant future.