top of page
  • Te Huihui Tran

Māori and Pasifika News: Porirua Rāhui, Personhood for Maunga Taranaki, and a new Olympic Kākahu

Words by Te Huihui o Matariki Chi Huy Tran (he/him) - Taranaki Tūturu, Te iwi o Maruwharanui, Ngāti Maniapoto

Sewer Pipe Bursts, Pollutes Local Stream

Ngāti Toa Rangatira placed a rāhui on Porirua Stream after a sewer pipe burst in Cannons Creek, spilling sewage into Kenepuru Stream. Wellington Water is tackling the issue, setting up pumps and looking for a lasting fix. The rāhui, an ancestral practice, protects the environment and people by restricting access to the area. Repair efforts are complicated by the site's tricky access, and health risks associated with the spill. Deputy Mayor Kylie Wihapi acknowledges the complex repair needed and supports the rāhui, urging the community to respect the situation.

Reclaiming Care of Maunga Taranaki

In a move to mend relations with Taranaki iwi, the Taranaki Maunga settlement legislation is now under select committee review. This bill proposes legal personhood for maunga Taranaki, and a new co-governance structure with the iwi. Te Pāti Māori co-leader Debbie Ngarewa-Packer emphasises this as a chance to redress past injustices, including the mismanagement of their environment, and the imposition of Pākehā names on sacred spaces. The legislation is seen as a vital step in the iwi's reclamation efforts, honouring the mountain that stands as a testament to their identity.

Aoteroa’s Olympic Kākahu is Complete

Kīngi Tūheitia has recently blessed Kuia Rānui Ngārimu's latest masterpiece,Te Hono ki Matariki, which will grace New Zealand's flag bearers at Paris 2024. Honored at Tūrangawaewae Marae, this kākahu echoes the legacy of Mahutonga, first worn by gold medalist Beatrice Faumuina in 2004. The cloak, crafted by over 15 weavers, embodies the nation's pride and the weavers' aroha. As the Olympic flame nears, Te Hono ki Matariki will wrap the athletes in history and hope, a symbol of kotahitanga and hiringa on the global stage.

bottom of page