top of page
  • Jia Sharma

Review: The New Blue—A Portrait of Pixie Williams

Words by Jia Sharma (she/her)

I’d consider myself a dedicated music nerd. So a few weeks ago when I heard about Pixie Williams, Aotearoa’s first popstar, my first thought was “why do I know nothing about this?” For that reason, I am so grateful for this production. 

A Portrait of Pixie Williams unveils the journey of Aotearoa's pioneering recording artist. Through a blend of timeless songs and narration, the production traces Pixie's life from its humble beginnings to the peak of her fame. Surprisingly, her story of love and stardom resonated with me far deeper than I had anticipated.

Stepping into the theatre, one is instantly transported to the 1940s by a gorgeous set, enveloped in smoke and blue lighting—a nod to Pixie's debut recording, ‘Blue Smoke.’

The show opens with a heartfelt reminiscence from Sir Ian Taylor, who fondly introduces his ‘Auntie Pixie’, adding a layer of intimacy to the show. From the very first song, I was captured by the story of Pixie’s life, going through her formative years, her triumphs, and her quiet moments of reflection. 

Each cover song seamlessly aligns with the corresponding phase of Pixie's life, and her story is fascinating to hear about. Her reluctance to embrace fame, her lack of financial recognition, and her family oriented lifestyle are all perfectly expressed through the chosen covers.

I cannot exaggerate the sheer talent that was put into making this production. Lisa Tomlins, Kristen te Rito, and Rachel Fraser perfectly channel Pixie’s spirit through their acting and vocals. Simone Kennedy's narration weaves through the many songs, enhancing the storytelling experience. Not to be overshadowed, the band delivers an impeccable performance, each member granted a moment to shine.

While I’m typically not too fond of audience interaction, I found that it worked quite well, adding a level of fun into the narrative. Covers of ‘Que Sera Sera’ and ‘Let’s Talk It Over’ were some of my favourite songs in the show, and deafening applause told me the rest of the audience agreed.

But of course, ‘Blue Smoke’ was the standout. One of the highlights of the show was when they played the original recording of the song sung by Pixie. ‘Windy City’, also sung by Pixie, is a nostalgic ode to Wellington and I loved watching the photos of 1940s Wellington projected onto the stage.

My one criticism of the show was the use of iPads that were attached to the mics. The cast had to keep scrolling on them, and I found it distracting me from the story for a few quick moments. 

A Portrait of Pixie Williams is a lovely tribute, shedding light on an unfamiliar part of Wellington’s history and a pivotal figure in Wellington's musical legacy. The crowd would not stop applauding and only cheered more when the cast came out for an encore, and that speaks volumes. It’s both a heartwarming and heartbreaking tale, and I only wish I could see it again.

bottom of page