• Kate Seager

Centrefold Competition Winners!

Judged by Kate Seager (she/her)

1st Place - Kate Campbell

Kia ora, Ko Kate tōku ingoa. Nō Perth me India ōku tīpuna. Having an art teacher for a mother and a geologist for a father, my upbringing saw an exploratory blend of both the arts and sciences, where I believe my relationship with nature falls somewhere in the middle. This piece, ‘Overgrown Garden’ was created at quite a transitional point in my life. I was fresh out of Uni, having completed a Masters in Health Psychology at Vic and was spending my days hovered over my laptop updating my CV and looking for work in what has become an increasingly scarce job market. During this time, I turned to art for escapism. This piece was completed over 50 hours and was created using (many) black fine liner pens on A1 fabric paper. I’m really proud of this piece, not because it’s my best or largest piece of work, but because it’s something I chose to chip away at everyday in what was such an uncertain time for me. I’ve always doubted my ability to be creative, especially having chosen more of a ‘science’-based career path, so it’s been great tapping into my artsy side and finally picking up the pen once more. 

You can pick up your own copy of ‘Overgrown Garden’ (A3 Print) for $20 NZD. Feel free to flick me a message on Instagram: @ __katecampbell

2nd Place - Xanthe Griffiths 

Kia ora! 

This centrefold piece is inspired to encourage people to take the bus. My commute to work is 45 minutes on a bus through town, which inspired me for this piece. I moved to Pōneke this year from studying Design in Ōtepoti. Pōneke is so vibrant and fast and I wanted to somehow replicate this through this piece. 

My name is Xanthe and I’m passionate about design, people and our gorgeous Papatūānuku. To have a cheeky look at my work, check out my Instagram (@the_funkiest_magazine) for a small magazine I run (now online). Irregular and ordinary, the Mini Funk comes out every so often, with people submitting their work and other bits and bobs. Check it out! Kia ora and ngā mihi nui.

3rd Place - Peta Symons

I actually completed this piece for a class this year as a visual representation of the surrealist art movement. A sort of portal into the surrealist mind, aiming to convey the instability and complexity of the human psyche. Each element - the bizarre creatures, birds, books - symbolises various aspects of surrealism, such as the exploration of the subconscious, the blending of reality and fantasy, and the embrace of the unknown. 

My Instagram is @petasymons :) Thank you!